B’nai Mitzvah Timeline and Important Deadlines
Following is our B’nai Mitzvah Timeline and Important Deadlines.
- 2 to 3 years before: B’nai Mitzvah dates are assigned at a parent’s orientation.
- 1 year before: The students and parents attend Family Workshops on 3 Sundays.
- 8 to 10 months before: The student begins training to Chant Torah and Haftorah.
- 6 to 8 months before: The family decides on roles for participation in the Bar or Bat
Mitzvah ceremony. Arrangements are made for tutoring of other family members.
- 6 to 8 months before: The Synagogue Office sends information about the different
Kiddush options and pricing.
- 3 months before: The student begins preparing their D’Var Torah with either our
Associate Rabbi, Daniel Schweber, or our Director of our Hebrew High School,
- 3 months before: Parent submits a write-up and photo of their Bar or Bat Mitzvah child,
which will appear in the “VOICE,” our Synagogue newsletter.
- 4 to 6 weeks before: Family meets with our Senior Rabbi, Howard Stecker, and may
arrange a photo shoot in the Main Sanctuary.
- 4 weeks before: Our Synagogue office confirms family information for the Shabbat leaflet,
for emails to be sent to the Congregation, and for the Synagogue Calendar.
- 1 week before: Student meets with Hazzan Brian Shamash for final Torah and Haftorah rehearsal.
- Day of Bar or Bat Mitzvah: Family arrives at Synagogue at 8:45a.m.
Click here to download the Bar/Bat Mitzvah Handbook.