B’nai Mitzvah Timeline and Important Deadlines
Following is our B’nai Mitzvah Timeline and Important Deadlines.
- 2 to 3 years before: B’nai Mitzvah dates are assigned at a parent’s orientation.
- 1 year before: The students and parents attend Family Workshops
- 8 to 10 months before: The student begins training to chant Torah and Haftorah.
- 6 to 8 months before: The family decides on roles for participation in the ceremony. Arrangements are made for tutoring of other family members.
- 6 to 8 months before: The synagogue office sends information about the different Kiddush options and pricing.
- 3 months before: The student begins preparing their D’Var Torah
- 3 months before: Parent submits a write-up and photo of their child, which will appear in the “VOICE,” our Synagogue newsletter.
- 4 to 6 weeks before: Family meets with our Senior Rabbi, Howard Stecker, and may arrange a photo shoot in the Main Sanctuary.
- 4 weeks before: Our synagogue office confirms family information for the Shabbat leaflet, for emails to be sent to the congregation, and for the synagogue calendar.
- 1 week before: Student meets with Hazzan Brian Shamash for final Torah and Haftorah rehearsal.
- Day of: Family arrives at Synagogue at 8:45a.m.
Click here to download the Bar/Bat Mitzvah Handbook.